On January 27, 2019, postage rates will increase for First Class Mail, Priority Mail Express (commercial and retail pricing), Priority Mail Express Flat Rate (commercial and retail pricing), Priority Mail Regional Rate (Commercial pricing), First Class Package Service (Commercial pricing), Parcel Select Ground (Commercial pricing), and Media Mail (Commercial pricing).
First Class Mail Letters
- The First Class Mail letter (1 oz.) rate for postage purchased at the Post Office is increasing by five cents to $0.55 from $0.50.
- Each additional ounce for a First Class Mail letter will cost an extra $0.15 (a decrease from $0.21 in 2018).
- First Class Mail Flats/Large Envelope rates are not increasing in 2019, remaining at $1.00 (1 oz.), with additional ounces costing $0.15.
- Postcard rates are also not increasing in 2019, remaining at $0.35.
- Customers who print postage online, the Metered Mail rate will now be a 5 cent discount compared to the Post Office price with rates increasing to $0.50 in 2019 from $0.47 currently.
- Each additional ounce will cost an extra $0.15 in 2019, a decrease from $0.21 currently.
- The five cent discount for online postage on a one-ounce First Class Mail letter represents a savings of 9% for consumers and small business owners.
Priority Mail (Commercial Base Pricing)
- Priority Mail will see an average increase of 5.9%.
- A 1 lb. package going to Zone 8 using Priority Mail will cost $8.25 in 2019 compared to $7.76 currently.
- Heavier weights for Priority Mail are seeing a rate decrease. For packages weighing between 11 lbs. and 70 lbs., all shipping zones are seeing lower rates compared to 2018. Cost savings range from $0.11 (11 lbs. Zone 1/2 = $10.67) to $1.37 savings (70 lbs. Zone 8 = $184.51) compared to 2018.
- Medium weight packages (4 lbs. to 10 lbs.), traveling to Zone 5 and higher are seeing a decrease in rates compared to 2018, with costs being reduced by $0.17 (7 lbs. Zone 5 = $15.43) to $0.63 (5 lbs. Zone 8 = $20.40)
Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes & Envelopes (Commercial Base Pricing)
- Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box is decreasing by five cents to $12.80 in 2019 from $12.85 currently.
- Priority Mail Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box is decreasing by five cents to $17.60 in 2019 from $17.65 currently.
- Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope, a popular option for e-commerce sellers, is increasing by $0.45 to $7.55 in 2019 from $7.10 currently.
First Class Package Service (Commercial Base Pricing)
- Overall rates for First Class Package Service will increase by 11.9%.
- Zone-based pricing is being added to First Class Package Service in 2019.
- Any package going across the country (Zone 8) is seeing a significant rate increase going up from $0.43 (Zone 8 ‚Äì 1 ounce = $3.09) to $1.43 (Zone 8 ‚Äì 13 ounces = $5.53)
- 13 ounce packages in particular are rising across all zones, increasing $0.84 (Zone 1/2 = $4.94) to $1.43 (Zone 8 = $5.53)
- Heavier items weighing 15 ounces to 15.999 ounces are seeing a smaller increase, going from no increase at all (Zone 1/2 = $4.94) to $0.59 (Zone 8 = $5.53)